I could really get into green-woodworking! To hone the spirit and skills that I developed during my massive 17th century chest project . I built a small, albeit elegant bible box for Aaron and Anj’s wedding. After completing his own sofa table 5 years after starting – I think aaron has an extra appreciation of the effort that hand-crafted entails. I worked off of this mid-17th century box at Yale, although some of the elegance of execution may have been lost in the process. Rather than lugging a wedding present to India, I set myself the goal of delivering the gift during a surprise visit to San Fransisco this spring. Stuck in the throes of silicon valley, there seems to be tech solution for everything; at some point the cure is worse then the disease, although I’ll leave it to each person to sort out when exactly that is. Rev suggested a simple box; a place where devices can live, and hopefully the simple act of closing that lid, can reduce the cacophony and allow the newly weds to bask in all the joys of taking on the audacity of deciding to take their journey together.
Hours before bustling off to the redwoods, we presented the gift. The trick with these things is getting the right light to photograph them; moments before the grand reveal I was trying to coerce the California sunshine into a raking light.
Both the box hinge and the cubby lid operate on pegs. The cleats on the lid serve both to attach the hinge as well as keep the whole thing flat. Its truly a celebration of all the functional additions which give a piece a design flare.
Luckily a box has two faces, so I had two cracks at getting a half descent carving. Starting from the same image I took two approaches to get to the same result. The carving alludes to those on my chest – apparently the 17th century joiner really liked the “s” scroll motif. I’ll leave it you to pick which you like more!
I found hand forged nails at Nicholas Forge – these nails are soft enough to cinch the lid – and I think the piece would feel flat without the character of the rose heads. Even though the nails are two inches long I cut a rabbet to secure the front faces to the sides – this made everything all that much tighter during assembly. Apparently I learned something working on the chest.
I hand-cut a simple moulding around the bottom – for 17 bucks that old molding plane has given me dozens of linear feet of work!
There is an extra special compartment. I made it a little small for my bear claw of hands so I cut the semi-circle into the side to facilate access.
While its alot of work taking wood from a log to a board apperantly I wasn’t great at documenting the shavings build up. We crosscutted to length and than did as much as you possibly could with an axe.
Finally starting to look like a box. I messed around a little with the dimensions after I had pieces.